Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spring has Sprung



My children are vastly amusing individuals. They have been ready for Spring for about 6 weeks now, and I think their joy on the first day of Spring very nearly matched their excitement on Christmas morning. My eldest, a fellow ham, flung open the front door, pelted out into the yard and bellowed at the tops of her lungs "It's SRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNGGG!!!!!" Yeah, well, we have that kind of household. What can I say? But a few weekends ago there was an incident that caused great consternation and dismay and, dare I say, even a smidge of righteous anger to bestir itself in the bosoms of my offspring.







What could possibly have happened that would create such a roiling cauldron of seething emotions, you ask? Well, puberty aside, it lies in one word. SNOW. It snowed! Not just dainty little flurries, either. Big, fat, wet, sticky snow that went on for hours. What is this travesty?! they cry. It's SPRING! The betrayal here is huge.

I now feel compelled to explain that the planet really doesn't care what the calendar says. The planet isn't even aware that there is a calendar. It just knows how far away from the sun it is and that there is moisture in its atmosphere. (Personally, I feel we should stage an intervention. The planet needs to know there's a calendar so this sort of thing doesn't keep happening!) But it's the middle of Spring! they gasp indignantly. At this point I am awkwardly forced to point out that 5 days after the 21st is in no way, and by no stretch of the imagination could be, termed the MIDDLE of Spring. We haven't even left the month of March, which is devoted to Winter almost in its entirety. This is perfectly normal, I assure them. Perfectly appalling and perfectly normal.(I've never liked snow.)

It all ends well, anyway, because the stuff didn't even stick around for a full day. That's more like it. But I had to smile. Mostly because I so completely understood how they felt.

3 comments:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

That sucks!

I remember a year or two ago we went to Tennessee and it SNOWED all over my Gramma's lillies in APRIL. It had been YEARS since that had happened. Figured for us huh? SINCE WE PACKED SPRING clothes!!

Melissa said...

My life mirrors yours in at least this one event. My girls were SO excited for spring and thought would should have a party celebrating the end of winter. I tried to tell them, "Um, this is Denver, and we are no where near the end of winter." Well, maybe somewhere near, but it keeps snowing here, too (snowed last night, in fact). I am SO OVER IT! I agree with staging an intervention. Just let me know when, and I'll be there.

Melain said...

"Spring is here! A-SA-PA-ring is here! Life is skittles & life is beer!"